The month of August has arrived, and your tomatoes may very well be ready to harvest! Garden Starters has compiled a brief, but important list of key tips to remember when harvesting your hard earned fruit!
Is the fruit ready?
- Start by observing the tomato’s colour. If the tomato has turned red on the vine it is likely ready to harvest (or yellow, if it is a yellow tomato). Be careful to ensure there is uniform colour on the tomato (no green should be left on the back side, or underneath the tomato).
- Test the firmness to double check whether or not the fruit is ready. Typically, the tomato should have just a little bit of soft give to it. Be careful not to bruise the fruit while checking.
How to Pick the Tomato?
- Grasp the ripened fruit gently, but with a firm hold. Carefully use your thumb to push on the stem notch connected to the fruit until it snaps off of the vine. Alternatively, use a pair of garden clippers to cut the stem a half inch away from the fruit. We would recommend the latter for hard to reach tomatoes.
- Ensure to wash the fruit well before enjoying!
Facts to Remember!
- Tomatoes always ripen from inside first. If the tomato appears to be ripe on the outside, it will be ripe on the inside!
- Warmth is the most important thing contributing towards the tomato’s ripeness. Additionally, ensure to be vigilant in watering as the tomato nears harvest time.
- Ensure to harvest before the fruit over-ripens! When the tomato becomes overly soft, and is 100% coloured, you know you may be harvesting late.
Enjoy your Garden Starter tomatoes in a sandwhich, soup, salad, or just as a healthy snack!